Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Hike: Angel's Rest, Corbett, OR

 


Length: 4.5 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,476 feet
Type: Out & Back
Steps: ~11,000


Getting There

After what was likely a super busy Memorial Day weekend in the Columbia Gorge, I ventured out I-84 for a midweek hike. It was still busy on the old highway and even a shuttle service for some of the waterfalls. I'd already set my sights on Angel's Rest when I was home so that was my original plan.

Fortunately, there were a couple of spots at the main parking lot. I geared up and got going.


The Hike

The trail stays in the trees for a while. There is one or two scree fields that were easily negotiated with hiking poles to help. There is a spot to dip your toes in the water about 1/3rd of the way up.

The trail opens up under taller trees in a series of switchbacks. You can start to see blue sky and glimpses of the river.

After 6 or 7 switchbacks you lose the forest canopy and are hiking in the sun (or rain or clouds). The 180 views are starting to improve as you gain elevation.

Near the top, there's another scree field to cross before Angel's Rest.

I stopped to take in the scene and have a sandwich. Not too crowded. There were some squirrels and some colorful birds with long beaks looking for a snack.

It was great to see my recent hiking spots on the WA side from the OR side: Cape Horn and Hamilton Mountain.

I never saw the turn for Devils Rest.