Sunday, May 23, 2021

Hike + Road Trip: Neahkahnie Lookout, Nehalem, OR

AllTrails map
 

Length: 2.8 miles
Elevation Gain: ~ 905 feet
Type: Out & Back
Steps: ~10,000


Getting There

I left Portland with a vague plan of where I was heading. Once I was got to North Plains, I knew I was going for a hike. I kinda of wanted to see the ocean but I knew that Saddle Mountain had recently reopened after being closed for several years(? or maybe just since the pandemic).

When I got to the Saddle Mtn turn off, I kept going. Another time. Neahkahnie Mtn was my destination.

Then, when I got the Necanicum Hwy (53) I took it to Hwy 101 (Nehalem, Wheeler, Mohler). The tank was running low on fuel but still had ~100 mi worth in the tank so kept going.

I've hiked from the North Trailhead so I made that my goal. There was a car following pretty closely and I passed by looking for a place to turn around. I went all the way to the Oswald West State Park lot to do a U-ee.

It wasn't until I was parked at the trailhead that I noticed it was closed. I'd seen the sign for the South Trailhead and headed there.

Up the gravel road I see a few cars and an open space and took it. I realized when I got out to get suited up that there was a larger parking lot ahead.


The Hike


The trail was muddy and overgrown in spots and kept at eye open for poison oak. There might have been some that I missed but it was mostly ferns and other broad leafed plants. I used my hiking pole to whack the lowest branches.

I only saw three people in the first 2/3rd of the trail. Then a few more groups on the way to the lookout.

I completely missed a 180 deg turn and started climbing under and over fallen trees. The trail was barely visible and it was getting sketchy. I heard a couple of voice from above so guessed I'd missed a turn somewhere close.

I did but I never saw the people whose voices I'd heard.

I saw the ridge to the lookout but it was blocked by a couple of downed trees. I thought maybe there was another access trail and keep trekking. Unfortunately my phone battery was low so I wanted to save juice for some photos but quickly checked the map and found I'd had in passed the junction.

I had the lookout to myself. I chilled out for about 10mins.


Requisite selfie


U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey marker (1926)


View of Nehalem from the first clearing


View of Nehalem Point

Afterwards

I rarely backtrack on these trips so I started north to either take Hwy 26 or Hwy 30. I still needed fuel for the return trip. I guess I've never paid attention that Cannon Beach does not have a gas station. It was cool to take a spin through town but knew I'd have to get into Seaside if I was going to take Hwy 26.

Traffic wasn't bad and the weather was nice. I zoomed by gas stations that were on the left side of the street. I quickly realized that I could make it to Astoria so I stopped looking.

I finally found a self-service place on the east side of town.

My perception of the drive between Astoria and Portland varies. This time it seemed to go on and on. Sometimes I'll hop on I-5 at Longview but not this trip.

I came across the St John's bridge and got stopped for about 15min at a train crossing on N Columbia Blvd.