Saturday, May 15, 2021

Hike: Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge, Ridgefield, WA

 

AllTrails map



Length: 4.42 miles
Elevation Gain: 88 feet
Type: Loop
Steps: 9,681

Getting There

I was just out on a field trip. I left my place and drove north into Vancouver toward the lake. I wasn't exactly looking for Ridgefield but wound up at the boat launch. 

⌘ Vintage Swing Bench Park - Google Maps

From there I drove north and found the construction for the new visitor center at the trailhead. I figured I'd scope it out.

The Hike

The trails starts with this bridge, gently curving into the wetlands. I took the first trail that I found. In hindsight I should have stuck to the main trail as there was a "go around" sign at the bottom of the 'shortcut'. LOL.

As usual, I didn't check any trail maps ahead of time so I was just going. I quickly realized that it was more or less a straight line alone Carty Lake to the boat launch where I had stopped earlier.

I didn't realize it at the time but near the boat ramp was a nesting killdeer. The sign only had writing on one side. When I approached unknowingly the killdeer chirps insistently and charged at me on the ground. Cute. I kinda wondered if the bird was injured. I gave a wide berth and keep walking.

I quickly found the end of the trail and realized it was not a loop so I headed back on the same trail toward the trailhead. This time I saw the sign about a "nesting killdeer". Ohhhh. Sorry fella.



Bridge at trailhead

Wetlands, Carty Lake

Carty Lake

Carty Lake trail

Protective bird

I got back to my "shortcut" but stayed on the main trail. I passed a couple taking a picture of their kid sitting on a tree branch. The kid was screaming, terrified. That's gonna be a great photo.

I passed the Cathlapotle Plankhouse and kept going. The Oaks to Wetlands Trail Loop was still a one-way loop for social distancing. 

To be honest, the area kind of looked 'messy'. Looks like several trees had fallen and the refuge crews were still in the process of restoring the area. It was still good to be outside and walking around the flora and fauna, mostly birds.

The loop is short so I was done fairly quickly. I passed the Cathlapotle Plankhouse again and noticed two people there sitting at a table. I had planned to take some photos but seemed like it is a museum or something. I didn't want to talk to anyone so keep going. 

In hindsight I regret not stopping. It's not like I was obligated to buy something or whatever. Weird.

Oaks to Wetlands Trail

Oaks to Wetlands Trail

Oaks to Wetlands Trail