Friday, May 14, 2021

Hike: Cooper Mountain Nature Park, Beaverton, OR

 

AllTrails map

Length: 6.28 miles
Elevation Gain: 426 feet
Type: Loop
Steps: 13,771


Getting There

This place is just minutes from Beaverton off SW Farmington Road. Take SW Grabhorn Road to SW Gassner Road. Then turn onto SW 190th and take it until it turns into SW Kemmer. It's not a bad as it sounds. (There's another route from SW 175th.)

The parking lot is pretty limited but they have a dirt lot for overflow. I was the second car in this lot. I stopped here before but only explored the trail a few feet.


The Hike

I started down Little Prairie Loop and took it to the end. The trail system is mostly one-way for social distancing but a bit confusing and I found myself back at the junction near the trailhead.

This time, instead of Prairie Loop, I took the Cooper Mountain loop. There another intersection both marked Cooper Mtn Trail. I took the one that was went downhill. Again I hit a one-way sign that was directing me toward Little Prairie Loop again.

I did a 180 and marched back up to the intersection. I found the loop I wanted and followed it all the way down the hill. Beautiful views of farms in the distance and wildflowers and meadows in the foreground.

Not wanting to miss any parts, I took the Larkspur Loop trail. It's a one-way trail and I passed an older guy going the 'wrong' way. I waved and kept going. The backside of the loop is a steep hill so guessing the gentleman wasn't up for that park.

From there the trail turns into Blacktail Way. I passed the intersection where I had to do the 180.

I did that little section of Little Prairie again and returned to my car.






Toughleaf Iris


AllTrails says the loop is 2.6 miles but my FitBit recorded 6.28. I know I backtracked quite a bit but wondering if I forgot another stop where I got some steps in. I'm going with recorded data for now.