Saturday, June 19, 2021

Hike: Archer Mountain + Private trail, Washougal, WA

 

AllTrails map


Getting There

Take WA Hwy 14 out from Washougal. Take a left (north) at Smith-Cripe Road, about half way between Prindle and Franz Lake. The trailhead parking lot is about 0.5mi up the road. There's room for 10-15 cars if everyone parks responsibly (i.e. perpendicular or angled). There was only one car when I got there so I parked parallel (oops). (I did the same thing at Vista Ridge last year).


The Hike

Length: 6.53 miles
Elevation Gain: 2,444 feet
Type: Dual out-and-back treks

I was looking for a new place to hike since I'd done Cape Horn and Hamilton Mountain several times already. I got an early start, around 9am so I had plenty of time.

The parking lot is darkened by the trees but you emerge into a wide meadow with views of the both sides of the canyon.

The Archer Mountain Trail starts heading downhill (to the right) where the dirt road splits. The foliage is overgrown. I'm sure I scraped by poison oak but I didn't experience any symptoms. I was a little anxious because it felt like a less used trail. I'd hoped I'd wasn't heading on the wrong trail. (I wasn't).

I could hear the stream/creek somewhere below and finally found the little bridge. 

The route seemed a little clearer, cross the water, zigzag up the side of the forest until you reach the base of rocks, then tight/steep switchbacks.



Meadow near the trailhead


First lookout on Archer Mountain Trail

Columbia Lily

Top of Archer Mountain


I forgot my extra battery for the phone and I didn't give it a full charge so I only checked the map occasionally. I saw the spur trail for Scott Point on the way up but kept going.

I reached the top of the mountain, a small clearing in the trees.

Note: I completely overlooked the trail to Arrow Point. schucks.. I'll have to go back!

On the way back down, I stopped at Scott Point. Initially I stopped at this first spot and took in the view. I realized there was a little trail going out further, passed the trees.


Columbia River Gorge from Scott Point


Scott Point

There is a little point that extends out over the valley below. It's not as shear a drop as it appears here.
I could see some exposed rock on the other side of the valley. I wanted to go there!

I descended all the way back to the meadow near the trailhead. I took the other side of the fork. I was a forest road for about 1/8th of a mile until it dead-ends at a stone wall. Perhaps, an old foundation, now a campsite.

Stone wall

I continued up the steep trail and encountered a group of three (well, four): a 30-something couple, their dog, and an older guy (guy's dad). They were taking their time and I scooted passed. I made it up a really steep section (scrambling on all fours).

It's quite a view, but wait there's more...

from private trail

I keep going but I was questioning if I was getting in too deep. I saw another steep scramble route but followed the lower trail (see next photo).

It hugs the mountain like a wave/tube. I couldn't help worrying about being buried under fallen rock.

The trail surface was well covered with moss/ground cover and didn't look like anyone had taken this route for some time.

I turned around. I found the scramble route again and went up a bit but bailed.


The "other" trail.


I found that group of four (3 plus dog). I asked if I had given up too soon. They confirmed that awesome views were just around the corner. I decided to follow them back to where I'd just come from. They said they rarely see other people on this side.

I told them that I'd already been up to Archer Mountain.

I stood there for a second to take in the views. I thanked them for the advice and motivation to come back.

I thought I'd continue on the ridge trail but when I got under the canopy of the trees, the trail went up sharply, nearly a 40 deg grade. I didn't have the energy to climb and didn't want to have to come back down this section.

I emerged back out and found a cool spot to chill.


Across from Scott Point/Archer Mountain (private)

My new friends (lol) left and I hung back for awhile (mostly to give them a head start because I knew I'd catch up if I left right away).

Just after the steep scramble section, I did catch up. The dad was sitting down resting and asked if I'd seen his lost sunglasses. I apologized that I hadn't but said I'd keep an eye out. I pardoned myself for leapfrogging them one last time.

Not long after I heard a kid screaming like a bird of prey. I passed them and fist bumped the air that I didn't have to hear that nonsense.

I made it back to the parking lot and realized I was the only car not perpendicular or angled parked.