Sunday, June 20, 2021

Hike: Hardy Creek-Hamilton Mountain II, Bonneville, WA

 

AllTrails Map


Getting There

This is my fifth hike at Hamilton Mountain and second clockwise loop from Hardy Creek Trail to Hamilton Mountain Trail.

I'd started the day at Larch Mountain in OR. I found a route from Mile Marker #10 on Larch Mountain Road to Devil's Rest and Angel's Rest. 

I gave up after about 1/2 mile because it was just walking a forest road. It might have gotten better but I didn't find the scenery that compelling nor was it a challenging hike.

It might have been more fun with other people (or dogs or both).

I made the call to turn back before I got too far in. It was still morning but I wanted to have plenty of time to hike.

I set my sights on Angel's Rest. Of course it was Sunday and Father's Day/Juneteenth weekend. I took a gamble but quickly regretted trying to find anything but crowds along Hwy 30 between Crown Point passed Multnomah Falls.

In fact the overflow parking for Angel's Rest was brimming with cars (probably illegally parked).

I was eyeballing trails that weren't super crowded. Somehow I found Wyeth Campground and a trailhead. The parking lot had a few cars but it was suspiciously light on people. I put out my parking pass and window shade. I found within an 1/8th of a mile, the Wyeth Trail was closed (indefinitely). There was a short dead-end trail to a small waterfall and the Gorge Trail which parallels Interstate 84 back towards Cascade Locks.

I went for awhile but it would be miles before I did any climbing at all. Grrrrr..

I turned around and went back to the car. I did checkout the waterfall but I really wanted to climb!

Well, I'd been lucky the previous two weekend visits to Hamilton Mountain, what were the odds I'd strike gold three times in a row? (I planned on hiking up from the highway).

When I got to the parking lot, I was surprised to not find an attendant. I had my Discover Pass ready and everything!

There were 2-3 empty spots even though the sign said Parking Lot Full. Woohoo!


The Hike

Length: 8.9 miles
Elevation Gain: 3,140 feet
Type: Loop

I was definitely planning to do the Hardy Creek-Hamilton loop again but thought I'd take the counter-clockwise this time. Two guys were reading the trail sign at the at the Hardy Creek trail. They went up so I took said "fuck it" and took the clockwise route again.

There were quite a few people coming down the trail. I wondered if they were returning from Hamilton Mountain or there's another loop from the parking lot.

I gave myself an out. I was feeling pretty good but still a little sore from the day before (Saturday at Archer Mountain). I said I'd take the Equestrian Trail to the Saddle if I was tired when I got there.

When I reached the turn, I moved the proverbial goalpost. I'd take Tom's Cut-off Trail to the Saddle. When I got there, a couple were stopped reading a map on their phone. I still had "juice" and forged again. I thought about stopping at the Bridge Trail where I'd heard people last time. Might as well switch it up. 

When I got to the Bridge Trail, I was getting tired. I didn't want to take a descent and have to climb back up to this point. (That'll have to be a different trip.)

The end of the loop seemed farther than I remembered. It was pretty overgrown. I'm sure I was hiking through poison oak. Oh well, there was too much overgrowth to worry about it. I swatted what I could. 

I was glad to finally reach the north end of the loop. It was more uphill. At some point I decided I'd take the cut-off trail when I got there and not go all the way around (like last time).

I certainly saved some elevation gains. I was stoked to see daylight as I approached the Saddle.

I saw couple of women hiking towards me. A welcome sight. My straw hat wanted to take off. It was really windy, too much to stop and have a safety meeting.

It was night as mellow in the trees but I kept going. I knew it the last climb and it was kicking my butt.

I passed a group of 6, including a little girl around 10. Mad props!

I also passed a couple I'd see at Rodney Falls at the beginning of the hike.

The descent was tough on the knees and calves. The views are no less impressive but the original awe has faded a little. 

I trekked out to Little Hamilton. There weren't any people of there. I started down the super steep section but opted to take an easier way down this time. 

I was scrambled route from the main trail. I let my guard down and slipped. It had to happen sooner or later. I didn't hurt anything fortunately but it was a good reminder to not get complacent.

The rest of the journey down was routine at this point. I kind of wished I'd done the counter-clockwise loop instead.

Not a bad weekend: ~`15.4 miles and 5,584 feet of elevation.