Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Hike: Forest Park (Firelane 12, 15, Wildwood, Newton, BPA) II, Portland, OR

 

 
AllTrails Maps

Getting There

Take NW Skyline Blvd north from NW Germantown Road. The Skyline Blvd Trailhead is 1.6 mi and a parking are available on right (east) side of the road.

I parked, put my window shade up, geared up and set out.


The Hike

Length: 7.59 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,752 feet
Type: Loop (except section to trailhead)


This is the second time I've done this exact route. My "moving time" was nearly the same.

Firelane 15 has some elevation changes right away and at the bottom of a small hill is the junction to take Wildwood or Firelane 12 (1 mile in). On this trip, I went right (south) on the Wildwood Trail. It intersects the BPA Road (at 1.8 miles).

Now I was on a route I've recorded & documented before: Wildwood to Newton Road.

It's 1.0 mile from BPA to Newton Rd on the Wildwood Trail.

It's 1.2 miles from there to the lowest point on the trip at Hwy 30 (BPA/Newton Road junction).

It's 0.9 miles from bottom to top. I've been improving my times getting up this section, from 35min to 25min.

Instead of returning to the Wildwood Trail, I took Firelane 12 back towards the TH. You drop down into a beautiful ravine with the junction for Firelane 15 at the bottom. The creek is dry right now but it's probably nice in the wet season.

The uphill side is a leg burner but only about 300 ft climb over 0.4 miles.

On the way back to the TH on Firelane 15, I took the detour to Kielhorn Meadow. There's really nothing beyond the clearing. It abruptly ends at a locked gate. Through the gap you can see a No Trespassing sign.


AllTrails links

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/afternoon-hike-4206e38--165