Saturday, December 17, 2022

Hike: Cape Horn Loop Trail, Washougal, WA

 


Getting There

The Trailhead parking lot is 18min (14.1mi) from the Camas Chevron off Hwy 14. It's about 1.5mi to the Salmon Falls Park & Ride from the Cape Horn Lookout.

My original plan was to hike in Oregon in the Gorge somewhere. I considered Angel's Rest and Multnomah Falls but when I got in the area it was all in the winter shade even though the sky was clear.

It just didn't seem that appealing, so I kept heading east. I considered Eagle Creek but the same issue applied. I looked across the river at a sunny Archer and Hamilton Mountains.

My next plan was to at least scout the Whistle Punk and Bunker Hill Trails north of Carson.

I stopped in Stevenson to get coffee and take a look at the riverfront park.

Stevenson, WA

I bailed on going further east and settled on Cape Horn.

The Hike

Length: 6.97 mi
Elev. gain: 1,398 ft
Moving time: 2:28:51
Total time: 2:42:49
Avg pace: 21:22
Calories: 1,496

I took the counterclockwise route. There was snow in the bush everywhere but the trail was clear albeit muddy, a foreshadowing of the conditions.

As I made my way up the switchbacks, I hiked through good patches and sticky mud patches.

By the top of the first hill, thick mud was unavoidable.

I kept an eye out for strange hair ice where I'd seen it before but I didn't find any. There was a lot of nccdle ice though.

Both lookouts were occupied so I kept moving, plenty of views ahead. At this point, my plan was to go to the first lookout past Strunk Road. 

There were people at that lookout too so I kept going. I made the call there to go for the full loop. I was making good progress and still had plenty of daylight. I only needed to make it to Cape Horn Road; I didn't mind it being darker on that part.

I saw a guy with an overweight & friendly black lab. I met another hiker that was leaving a viewpoint and was going the counterclockwise loop as well. I stopped for a bit to enjoy the views and sit for a minute.

My last time here was Oct 21, 2021. My memory was hazy on the route but it seemed familiar.

When I reached Cape Horn Falls, I noticed a pair of hikers. I kept going and figured I'd pass them eventually but the trail reached the road before I could.

There were a couple more hikers finishing the hike and starting the road part. I zoomed between them on the road and pulled far ahead.

I felt strong the entire hike, making sure to eat part of the Clif bar and drinking Gatorade.

Columbia River Gorge

Cigar Rock viewpoint

Cape Horn Falls bridge