Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Hike: Hamilton Mountain, N Bonneville, WA

 

Getting There

Take WA-14 from Vancouver, WA east toward N Bonneville.

Just after Doetsch Ranch you'll see the Ranger Station on the north side of the road just before the Beacon Rock parking lot, then another road across from the bathrooms. The road winds up the hill for a bit.

The Hike

Length: 5.91 mi
Elev. gain: 2,162 ft
Moving time: 2:56:50
Total time: 3:53:42
Avg pace: 29:56
Calories: 1,778

This was my 51st birthday hike. I was stoked to get clear skies and almost no wind. The air was cool but the trail was in good shape. 

There was snow on the route near the parking lot but no again until above Little Hamilton.

In the top section, I finally got out my microspikes. On hiker passed me on the way up that was moving quickly and didn't have much gear, probably a trail runner.

At the summit, that hiker was just leaving. I had time to do the Saddle/Hardy Creek loop but opted to just take the Hamilton Trail route back and take my sweet time on the descent. I lingered at the top to enjoy the views for a bit longer and to give the other hiker some lead time.

I passed a couple of photogs that were undressed for the weather/conditions. One person was just in a t-shirt and their backpack didn't look too full. I imagined the adrenaline and uphill climb was masking the temperatures. I thought about these two on the my way down as it got colder and darker.

I took a side trip to Little Hamilton. Beautiful views. I changed into some dry clothes and let my outer jacket dry off in the sun. I don't stop and smell the flowers enough. I love the exercise and getting out there but sometimes it's best to just sit (or stand) and absorb everything.

I made it back to the parking lot and there was just one other car, those two photogs. It was only around 4:14p but it was getting dark. I hope they made it back without too much difficulty. The trail is easy to follow, even in low light.

--
Since my MSH hike in Sept, I've been experimenting with diff nutrition choices: trail mix, power bars, Gatorade, to fuel the body during the hike. I always brought snacks and water but didn't regularly eat while hiking unless I got hungry. Instead, I've begun snacking and drinking Gatorade at regular intervals and have seen great results. Not only are my ascents better but I've experienced fewer leg issues (tight IT band or hammies) on the descent. Also, my recovery is much faster.