Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Hike: Hardy Ridge + Equestrian Trails, N Bonneville, WA

Selfie on Hardy Ridge Trail

Getting There

The trailhead is accessible from the Equestrian Camp Parking Lot, a bit west of Beacon Rock & Hamilton Mountain.

Take WA-14 from Vancouver, WA east toward N Bonneville. Just after Doetsch Ranch you'll see the Ranger Station on the north side of the road just before the Beacon Rock parking lot. The road winds up the hill for a bit. Keep a lookout for the the Equestrian Camp turn off.

 

The Hike

Length: 6.84 mi
Elev. gain: 1,394 ft
Moving time: 2:51:33
Avg pace: 25:04
Calories: 1,726
Total time: 3:08:12

AllTrails map


Last min hike at Beacon Rock State Park. I was intending to hike to Phlox Point via Equestrian Trailhead but found the Hardy Ridge Trail tough without snow shoes. The snow was slushy and soft so I ended up post-holing a lot. I turned around before I reached the switchbacks. 

 

Hardy Ridge Trail

Looking west from Hardy Ridge Trail

Hardy Ridge Trail

I thought I might be able to make it to the Hamilton Saddle but it was getting "late". The snow on the Equestrian Trail was heavy and not much different than the other trail. I only made it to the Hardy Creek Trail (picnic bench).

While I didn't reach either Phlox Pt or the Saddle it was still good to be out in the snow and trees.

Hardy Creek

Hardy Creek Trail/Equestrian Trail junction