Friday, March 3, 2023

Hike: Wahkeena-Multnomah Falls Loop II, Corbett, OR

 

From Multnomah Creek Bridge on Larch Mtn Trail #441

Getting There

Another outing where I was "all dressed up but no where to go." Well, there were plenty of options but I didn't want to do Forest Park or Hamilton but wanted something familiar. I considered Cape Horn but naw... back to the Multnomah Falls. The Tripcheck cam showed a mostly empty parking lot.

The closer I got to Troutdale, the worse the weather looked in the Gorge. The fog was dense and it was raining.

Again, I liked being able to park between the eastbound and westbound lanes, instead of having to get on the Historic Hwy. Plus, real or imagined, I'm guessing this parking lot is "safer" due to high turnover and cameras.

I pulled into a parking spot and watched the raindrops on the windshield. I thought about the recent snow and now rain making the hike slushy and damp. I made myself a "deal". I would just do a short hike up the Wahkeena Creek to the Vista Point view and back (or as far as I could go.)

I suited up and walked to the tunnel under I-84 to the road.

The Hike

Length: 6.01 mi
Elev. gain: 1,693 ft
Moving time: 2:27:42
Total time: 2:48:45
Avg pace: 24:35
Calories: 1,486

AllTrails map

The Return Trail #442 between Multnomah Falls Lodge and Wahkeena Falls was clear of snow. I was able to go without spikes for quite awhile.

On the lower part of the Wahkeena Trail #420 (the switchbacks) was also snow free for the most part. In fact, I was well into the middle section before I stopped to put on the microspikes. The trail was well-traveled and packed down but the rise in temperatures and rain had turned the ice into unstable slush. I was slipping a bit but was glad to have the added traction.

Near the top of the canyon, there was a spot on the trail that gave me pause. The snow bank had given way showing a sheer drop, one of those false steps that changes your day. Yikes. I hugged the hillside.

The burn area (see the bowl below Devil's Point) was easier travel but the slushy did add a bit of resistance. The contrast of white snow and few burned tree stumps created a canvas of shapes that looked like people or large animals. I stopped a few times and stared to look for movement but eventually I realized what I was looking at.

When I reached the View Point/Devil's Rest junction, I considered my options and fitness. My ankle was aching a bit but I felt good. Devil's Point was not in the cards today and I wasn't ready to head back down so I said 'fuck it' and decided on a loop.

I was mildly apprehensive about the section of the trail past Multnomah Creek. Last time was a bit gnarly.

A hiker that looked under-dressed came the other direction. The sight calmed my own nerves but also thought that the guy in a sweatshirt and cowboy boots. I saw his heel prints in the snow way up here. The guy up was passing was just in a wool fleece and light boots. Here I was with multiple layers and a winter coat on my pack. This gives me an idea for another post about preparedness in different seasons. I asked about the trail conditions below. Seemed like the hazards I'd encountered before were gone. Whew.

At the junction to Multnomah Falls, I saw the steel bridge about 0.1 mile up the Larch Mountain Trail #441. Looked like a good spot for some photos (see below). I'd like to hike up to Sherrard Point sometime.

After a short detour and photo op at the bridge, I started down the final section along the creek. There was a lot less snow so it felt safer on the cliffs past Ecola Falls, Wiesendanger Falls, and Dutchman Falls. The icy slope that was there last time was totally gone. Huge relief.

Back on the paved trail there were lots of people slipping and sliding in the street shoes. A few people kind of smirked when they saw me with pack, boots & poles. Probably thought I'd suited up for the same hike they were doing with high tops and cotton sweatshirts. LOL.

Around switchback 5 of 11, I passed a couple of woman who cheerfully let me zoom by. A few turn later I heard her shout "did you run?".. I looked up and smiled and laughed and waved.

Another good hike. I'm glad I wasn't deterred by the rain. Worth it!

 













Instagram post text:

Nice loop hike starting at Wahkeena Falls, ending at Multnomah Falls. Mostly snow covered route, pretty slushy tbh. My microspikes were slipping quite a bit even though the trail was well packed down. It was much less scary on the section by Multnomah Creek. When I was here in January, the creek was raging and there was an icy slope (*slide*) below Wiesendanger Falls that you had to traverse. No margin of error. Today, the water level was low and that icy slope is gone.
When I got to the parking lot, it was raining and I pondered if I wanted to hike. So glad I went for it!