Friday, June 28, 2024

Hike: June Lake + Loowit + Pika Trail, Cougar, WA


Getting There

Take Exit 21 from I-5 N (Exit 22 from I-5 S) for WA-503 S/Lewis River Road. It's 28.4. miles to Cougar. WA-503 becomes Road 90. Take NF-83 and drive 6.9 miles (north) to the June Lake Trailhead.

On my way there, after the washout, I noticed someone with signature MSHI colors: red hat, red shirt, walking the 83 road to June Lake. It was Alex. He was roving the south side as well. I offered him a ride which he declined, so I continued to the trailhead.

Alex met me there and we agreed to co-rove together up to the lake.

The Hike

Distance: 5.43 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,186 feet
Maximum Elevation: 3,854 feet










We hiked up the June Lake trail and chatted about our experiences as somewhat new MSHI mountain stewards. He had started very early in the morning and had plans back in Vancouver that afternoon.

We said our goodbyes and he headed back to the trailhead. I'd been wanted to hike the Loowit and decided to go for a bit toward the Worm Flows and return to the lake via the Pika Trail.

Just out of the trees, I was stopped for an equipment adjustment and heard two backpackers approaching. I waited for them and introduced myself. After chatting for a bit, I let them forge ahead. I kind of liked having other hikers in the lead since this was my first time on this part of the trail.

When I reached the boulder section, I was glad to see them in the distance as it confirmed I was still on the right path. The lodge poles or orange plastic markers help but you can't always see them. I did lose the trail for a little but but found it again by hearing their voices.

Loowit Trail through the boulders

more boulders

I made it to Chocolate Falls. It was dry but it was cool to preview the winter climbing route. I imagine it's a whole new scene when the area is blanketed in snow.

The backpackers were having lunch at the Loowit/Worm Flows junction. I said hello again and went up the trail for a bit. There is a bit of elevation gain and I wanted to start the trek back to June Lake.

Chocolate Falls

Chocolate Falls

I had to backtrack a little to find the trail. Thank goodness for digital maps and GPS because it wasn't obvious for quite awhile. I was somewhat luck to see the sign for the Pike Trail. It was a densely forested section of trail. In hindsight, if I'd missed the turn, I would have ended up at Marble Mountain.

The trail is narrow in spots but well-traveled and not hard to follow. I made it to the boulder section. Nothing but rock hopping. I stopped for a bit and had some food. I knew June Lake was just on the other side of this field of rocks.

I just had to be careful not to fall or step on a "wobbler". It was slow going but the hillside at June Lake grew bigger.

In about 30 mins, I made it to the other side. I was so happy to reach firm ground again and the familiarity of the the lake. I stopped at the water to see if any visitors were there but I was alone.

I started my hike back to the car. I was happy to have explored somewhere I'd never been. I knew I could advise visitors that much better.

Start of the Pike Trail, more boulders

Where is the path?