Sunday, September 22, 2024

Hike: Ape Cave Upper Passage, Cougar, WA


Getting There

It's 28 miles from Woodland to the Cougar. There are a couple of gas stations here. Continue east on SR-503 which becomes Rd 90 for 9.5 miles to Ape Cave. Looks for the sign to Ape Caves, June Lake, Climber's Bivouac, Ape Canyon & Lava Canyon which is Rd 83. It's 0.3 miles to Trail of Two Forests and 0.7 miles to Ape Cave.

I was here for an MSHI shift and normally I would just spend the day at the cave entrance, but I kinda wanted to explore the cave when fewer people were coming up. Last time I went through the upper passage was back in June. The more times I have first hand knowledge of the cave, the better I feel about giving info & advice.

Additionally, when I was driving past the Cougar RV Park & Campground, I saw a banner for a Spelunking meeting and noticed some people climbing & lowering on ropes from a tree visible from SR-503. It was the 2024 NSS Western Regional of the National Speleological Society, from Sept. 19th to 22nd!

The Hike

Distance: 2.64 miles
Elevation Gain: 377 feet
Maximum Elevation: 2,444 feet












In the afternoon when the crowds began to wane, I decided to take a spin through the upper passage. I left my visual aids tacked up to the kiosk.

I stowed my grocery bag behind the kiosk and donned my headlamp. I met some folks that weren't prepared: of the four people, only one had a flashlight and it was a cellphone light. They asked if I'd been in the cave before and I told them yes and that I was an MSHI volunteer. I recommended renting some lanterns from the Ape Cave store.

I didn't want to follow any one, so hung back while another group started their trek. When I couldn't see any lights ahead of me, I started cruising along. I could still hear some voice but at least they were getting the "full experience". I stopped a few times to take photos and the first rock pile after the "Big Room" took a while to get up and over.

I have a bunch of photos of the cave itself so I wanted to snap a few of the cave features including this "blowout". I heard another group approaching so I figured I'd wait and introduce myself. I explained how the "blowout" is formed. After chatting, they continued on and I said something sort of cringy. "I'll wait a minute but I'll be back here in the dark." Ugh.. why did I phrase it that way!! "I didn't mean it in creepy way". They laughed but maybe ironically. Durr!

I wanted to be out of the cave before 4:30p so I could still make my "out of service" call to Columbia on time. I took my time to be careful but didn't lollygag for too long at any one spot.

Eventually, I reached the first skylight. I thought about the story I heard from EMT Joe about having to rescue a woman that was stuck 1/2 way out of the hole. She couldn't get out and couldn't climb back down safely. Joe said they'd parked at the Cougar Sno-Park and accessed the skylight by traipsing through the forest.

I inspected the "route" and it looked sketchy. A slip from the first ledge would certainly result in at least an small injury.




 
I've been telling folks that neither the Lower or Upper caves have spots where you have to crawl around but I was wrong. Beside the Lava Falls wall and the squeeze point, there ARE a couple low spots in the Upper passage. I'll have to incorporate this info into my pre-hike spiel going forward.

The exit

The exit