Friday, September 27, 2024

Hike: Hamilton Mountain, N Bonneville, WA

Getting There

Just after Doetsch Ranch you'll see the Ranger Station on the north side of the road just before the Beacon Rock parking lot, then another road across from the bathrooms. The road winds up the hill for a bit.
For a beautiful day, I was happy to find a few open spots by the bathroom.

It was early afternoon and the weather was a bit overcast but the forecast showed the skies would clear for several hours in the mid to late afternoon.

The Hike

Length: 7.83 mi
Elev. gain: 2,310 ft
Moving time: 3:40:33
Avg pace: 28:09
Calories: 1,943
Total time: 4:49:04






I'd originally planned to hike up to McNeil Point but I lagged at home for too long. I knew Hamilton Mountain would be epic regardless of the weather.

On the ascent, I hiked up to Little Hamilton. The clouds were still plentiful overhead. I wasn't sure if the weather would turn or it would clear up. I still wore my single base layer.

I was feeling a little sluggish but pushed forward. I took several breaks and made sure to drink my Gatorade for the electrolytes and hydration. Once I reached the last section, I started to get a second wind. Knowing the top was close was a great motivator.

When I reached the summit, I felt good but a little tired. I decided not to do the Saddle-Equestrian-Don's Cutoff-Hardy Creek loop. Instead, I just did the out-n-back. It gave me the leisure to take my time on my descent and take some photos.

I stopped at Little Hamilton a second time on the descent. The clouds had cleared and it was gorgeous.

A bit further down the switchbacks, I explored a little side trail. It was a bit gnarly as it was a narrow trail with a steep drop-off. It made my knees weak. I sat down carefully and wished I'd had my foam pad.

As I approached the viewpoint near Hardy Falls, I caught up with a group of 4 that were going sort of slow. I hung back so I didn't crowd them. The person in the back noticed I was there and said something to the other three but they still didn't pull over.

I figured I'd pass them when the trail got wider near the stairs. They continued on the path so I keep a little cushion between us.

When I got to the other side of the ravine by the falls, I stopped to get my spectacles out. It was too dark for sunglasses. This increased the gap.

Somewhere nearby I did catch up and they let me pass. I said hello and wished them well, then picked up my pace.

Before I reached the power lines, I wasn't sure if I would stop at Little Beacon but when I got there, I saw the sun was still high in the sky but was approaching the horizon. I remember seeing a sign that the gate was closed at dusk. What did that mean? Sometime after sundown? I must have only meant the trailhead parking lot since I thought the campground was still open so probably not the gate at the bottom of the hill by Hwy 14.

Nevertheless, I still had time to visit Little Beacon and still have plenty of time.

I had the place to myself and it was great to just sit and listen to the silence, the wind. So worth the extra effort.


Table Mountain & Mt Adams

Beacon Rock, Columbia River

Bonneville Dam, Columbia River



North Bonneville, Columbia River, Oregon on other side

Bonneville Dam


Little Beacon Rock