Sunday, November 6, 2022

Hike: Hamilton Mountain + Hardy Creek Loop, N Bonneville, WA

 

Getting There

Take WA-14 from Vancouver, WA east toward N Bonneville.

After passing Cape Horn and the trailhead parking lot, the skies were so dark past Stevenson. I decided it was a Hamilton day.

Just after Doetsch Ranch you'll see the Ranger Station on the north side of the road just before the Beacon Rock parking lot, then another road across from the bathrooms. The road winds up the hill for a bit.

The Hike

Length: 7.17 mi
Elevation gain: 2,201 ft
Moving time: 2:53:58
Total time: 3:11:01
Avg. pace: 24:17
Calories: 1,748

The Pacific NW has been getting pummeled by rain for the last few days. It was evident on the trail because there were quite a few puddles, mud and debris like branches, twigs, pine needles. On the final stretch to the summit, there branches were heavy with snow causing them to bend over the trail.

I was whacking them with my poles which immediately made them spring back into place and out of the way. I was still getting wet from the slushy snow. I was planning to skip the Saddle this time until three trail runners arrived at the top. They were in shorts but had rain gear on the top. They said they were doing the loop.

I checked my watch and saw it was about 1pm. Guess I'll do the loop as well. I set out and did my best to clear the trail at great cost to me. I was soaked by the time I got out of the snow on the ridge. I didn't even stop at the Saddle and just kept going. 

When I reached the trail sign at the Equestrian Trail, I looked back and saw the three guys.

I soldiered on, wet but not too cold. 

A ways down the trail, one of the three caught up to me. They had rough time on the ridge too. I could hear the other two guys approaching from behind. They said hello as they passed.

When I reached the Upper Hardy Creek trail, I saw the trio continuing on. I kept pace for quite awhile on the Lower Hardy Trail but they eventually pulled away out of sight.

I was glad to reach the Hamilton Trail and make my way to Rodney Falls.

At the car, I was so glad to change out of the wet clothes. The trio was packing up and drove off.

There were still a few cars in the lot. First day of DST. It was foggy and dark even at 3pm.

Great hike. 

Rodney Fall

View from Little Hamilton

View of Columbia River Gorge + Bonneville Dam

View from the switchbacks