Friday, January 20, 2023

Hike: North End of Forest Park 22, Portland, OR

Getting There

Take NW Skyline Blvd north from NW Germantown Road. The Skyline Blvd Trailhead is 1.6 mi and a parking are available on right (east) side of the road.

AllTrails map

The Hike

Length: 10.49 mi
Elev. gain: 2,178 ft
Moving time: 3:14:58
Avg pace: 18:36
Calories: 1,961
Total time: 3:21:10

FitBit
Steps: 22,433
Floors: 259
Cals: 3,336

The forecast showed clearing skies into the afternoon. It was pretty foggy above 500' and on Skyline Blvd. The out-n-back section of the hike was pretty cool (temp) but was a good warmup.

As I was going along Wildwood, I encountered another hiker with a dog. He stopped at Benjamin G. Collins bench and I mentioned it was my favorite bench when I walked by, which prompted to ask if I wanted to sit there. I backpedaled inadequately "no, no.. I just acknowledge it when I come by here." I said have a good day.

It was pretty muddy in spots and I noted several downed trees since I was here a month ago. In fact, a few must have been recent because you had to crawl over them. One was on Newton Road and another major detour on the Wildwood near the Newton Road parking lot. At the bottom of the ravine along Newton Creek/Road. (Keeping the trail crews busy.)

As I was heading south towards Germantown Road, it looked like the sun was finally breaking through the clouds.

I made it to the top of the BPA climb in about 23 mins, my usual ascent time. I stopped briefly at the picnic benches at the end of BPA Road.

It was really socked in about 2/3rd of the way up to the top. No sun today. The powerlines disappeared into the mist.

There was a toy horse attached to a telephone pole. Just some random Portland shit, like the horses "hitched" to the metal rings in town.